Our Bulk Bag Unloaders or Bulk Bag Dischargers are engineered to safely and effectively unload large bags, commonly known as Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers (FIBC).
The structural framework is designed for your specific application. Each discharger is equipped with the features you need to maximize your bag handling process. From cantilevered I-beam, to electric hoist and trolley for loading and unloading of bulk bags without the use of a forklift. Other bulk bag unloader designs include frames for forklift loading, and low profile units for use in low ceiling areas where lack of overhead room would impede the full extension of the forklift. Also available are bulk bag unloader half-frames that can be used with existing hoist and monorail systems, loss-in-weight option for batching operations, for uninterrupted feeding directly from bulk bags, and other engineered designs for specialized requirements.
The Bulk Bag Unloader Operation
The Bulk Bag Unloader operation is engineered for labor optimization and maximum product output. This structural piece of equipment is available with many different features and options, the most common are described here.
Fork Lift Style
The operation of the fork lift style bulk bag unloader begins with the fork lift driver lifting the bag transporter off of the unloader frame using the integral lift pockets. The transporter has 4 safety hooks that will securely hold the bulk bag during the discharge process. The fork truck raises the transporter and bag, placing it on the unloader frame. Once the stops are reached, the fork truck driver knows the transporter is securely in place. The operator will then open the valve, typically Iris or Pinch type, pull the spout of the bag into the untie box/access chamber, close the valve and untie the spout. The bag is now staged and ready to begin the discharge process.
Hoist and Trolley Style
The operation of the Hoist & Trolley style unloader begins with a single operator lowering the hoist to ground level with a 4 button pendant control, and securing the bag adaptor to the loops on the bag. The operator then raises the bag with the hoist and moves the bag into the frame on the cantileavered I-beam, and places the bag spout over the valve. The operator will then open the valve, typically Iris or Pinch type, pull the spout of the bag into the untie box/access chamber, close the value and then untie the bag. The bag is now staged and ready to begin the discharge process.
- Long-lasting robust frame designed for your specific bag size and application.
- Fit tight spaces with a custom-designed frame when you need to work around or straddle another piece of equipment or obstruction, or have restricted headroom.
- Manually dump smaller bags/minor ingredients with our integral bag dump station.
- Pneumatic Bag Agitation
- Pneumatic side puncher bag agitation
- Pinch valve for retying bags
- Unite boxes designed for your particular application
- Integral dust handling - see images below
- Manual Iris Valves - see images below
Integral Dust Collection
Click to enlarge.
Iris Valve Options
Click to enlarge.
Iris Valve Details
Click to enlarge.
Images courtesy of Vortex Valves.
To learn more about Iris Valves and how they function, CLICK HERE.
Take a look at the image gallery on the right for more details
- Choose a hoist and trolley style or forklift style frame, which offers adjustable heights, to suit your application.
- Hoists are available for a variety of electrical classifications, as well as, chain or wire rope configurations.
- Improve the flow of compacted or difficult-to-dispense materials with pneumatic bag agitator.
- The pneumatically activated pinch valve allows the operator to retie bags when necessary.
- Improve material discharge with optional pan utilizing rubber vibration dampers and ATEX-rated electric vibrator.
- Perform batching, operations with optional batch weigh systems for loss-in weight that are accurate to one pound or less.
- Dust Control System – help control dust and lost product with our dust collector.Optional self-contained dust control system. These units require half the space, and cost less, than stand-alone units.
- Create a dust-tight spout-to-hopper connection with optional Flex-Connect™ flexible spout connector.
Integral Bulk Bag Unloading and Conditioning
Integrated hydraulic conditioners for the Bulk Bag Unloader allow for effective processing and improved material flow of Bulk Bags or FIBC’s. The Hydraulic Conditioners are engineered for the break up of very hard agglomerations. The system uses engineered steel compression plates designed to push on the bag at staged intervals; breaking up hard agglomerations. Bag conditioners can be incorporated into a Bulk Bag Unloader or designed as a separate stand-alone unit. Watch the video for more information.
Pneumatic agitator paddles can be used in conjunction with hydraulic bag conditioners or as a stand-alone option. Also integral to the Bulk Bag Unloader, the pneumatic agitator paddles massage the bag while the material is discharging. The massaging action reduces bridging and provides a continuous and positive material flow.
See the integral Hydraulic Conditioning paddles in live action. Watch our video below.
Low Profile Bulk Bag Unloader
Bulk Bag Unloader with Dual Helix® Flexible Screw Conveyor
- Efficiently process bulk powders for sanitary applications
- Bulk Bag Unloader quickly and completely discharges material into a Series 500 Helix® Flexible Screw Conveyor
- Material is fed through a sifter and transferred by a second Helix®
- FDA and USDA Complaint
- Dairy-grade quick release discharge assembly and casing meets all sanitary conditions
- Portable Base
- 2-Stage agitation allows agglomerated material to flow freely
- Material transfer system can be moved to different locations
- Big tie box allows for flow to be stopped and the bag sealed
- Utilized for bulk bag unloading and conveying
- Ideal for batch processing
Portable Bulk Bag Unloader with Helix® Flexible Screw Conveyor
Click images to expand and see details
Optional Dust Collection
Optional Bag Dump Station for Minor Ingredient Additives
Optional Pinch Valve for Flow Stoppage
Hoist & Trolley / Forklift style
Standard frame: 3 in (7.62 cm) square, 7-gauge tubing – custom frames per application requirements are available. Optional agitator fabricated of carbon or stainless steel requires 5 scfm (0.142 m3/min) at 80 psig (5.62 kg/cm2).
4 frame-mounted load cell kit includes stainless steel junction box, 4 carbon or stainless steel compression mounts, 4 single ended beam load cells and 25 ft (7.62 m) of load cell cable.
Low Profile Bulk Bag Unloader
Our patent-pending low profile unit allows a forklift to be fully extended even in low ceiling areas. Our patent-pending slide rail design serves as a guide for the forklift driver for placement of the top section.
Like all Hapman equipment, our experienced and knowledgeable application experts can design a system to meet your specific needs. A common reason for a custom unit is low ceiling height here are some details on our patent pending, low-profile unit
Bulk Bag Unloader Application Examples
Our Bulk Bag Unloader is often use in conjunction with other material handling
equipment. Here are just a few examples of how our discharger has helped facilities in all material handling applications maximize their bulk purchases by optimizing how the bags are unloaded.
Dry Granulated Material - This customer had a challenging material handling issue. The product they purchased in bulk bags was of various size granduals. The process could only handle smaller sized particles. To effectively handle the bulk bags and optimize on larger quantity material purchases , we helped this customer by designing a complete unloading and pre-processing system. This picture shows the bulk bag unloader with a hoist & trolley assembly, iris valve at the bag discharge with the spout untie box and hopper. Our Vacuum Conveyor lifts the material into a screener which separates the larger particles out of the process and delivers the small particles directly to the assembly line.
Fine Powder - In this application our customer used a hoist & trolley style unloader to empty the large bags of protein powder. The discharge valve is a pinch valve which allows the operator to close prior to release of material, thus preventing a large instantaneous load on the system. This unit is complete with an untie box and a hopper. Our Helix is mounted off of the hopper, elevating the powder into the mixer.